Gynecomastia Breast Surgery For Men London Kent
Cosmetic surgery for women has long been accepted as a means of looking good. For at least a decade breast augmentation has been top of the most wanted procedure list for women and now men are turning to breast surgery to shape their chests or combat gynecomastia.
Last year in the USA over 20,000 men had Gynecomastia, or breast reduction surgery and statistics show that in the UK there has been a 44% increase between 2007 and 2011 in men undergoing the same procedure.
Gynecomastia comes from the Greek words “gyne” meaning woman, and “mastos” meaning breast. In practical terms, this means abnormally large breasts on men. Although the condition is relatively common in adolescent boys, 90% of the time symptoms disappear as they enter adulthood. But the remaining 10% can feel burdened with a social handicap that can cause a deep and complex shame, putting ones relationship with ones body at risk.
Gynecomastia, man boobs or “Moobs” as they are more commonly known have caused men constant embarrassment and distress for years. Gynecomastia is caused by the development of unusually large glands in men resulting in breast enlargement, and with studies showing that 47% of men in the UK hate the look of their chests, just as many are seeking help to correct these problem areas. They are resorting to surgery to do just that.
Mr Davood Fallahdar, cosmetic and plastic surgeon at the Belvedere Private Clinic agrees that there is definitely a growing trend towards men with gynecomastia opting to have breast reduction surgery. Now that cosmetic surgery in men is becoming more acceptable and carries less of a stigma we are receiving more and more enquiries from men of all ages wanting this type of surgery for gynecomastia and a multitude of other procedures.
The procedure is fairly simple and mainly involves removing the fatty deposits around the breast area that causes the chest to appear swollen and feminine. This is done with liposuction, gland excision or a combination of both. The patient will have to wear a support strap for a couple of weeks until the swelling has subsided but the down time is minimal, leaving most men impressed with their “fat to flat” results.
So, what is the reason that these 47% of men have Gynecomastia. Is it too many beers at lunchtime and too little exercise ? Apparently not. The reasons are not always down to unhealthy living or lack of exercise. Gynecomastia can be genetic or it can be a problem that occurs during puberty with hormone changes.
Gynecomastia can often happen as the result of taking certain medications that influence the body’s hormonal levels. It can also occur if someone is suffering from a testicular tumor, which causes estrogen production to significantly increase.
Men who take anabolic steroids,have to realise they also have a Androgenic effect. Most steroids cause Testosterone levels to rise, the human body responds by producing Estrogen to balance the Testosterone levels. So, the more your Testosterone level increases through the amount of steroids you take, and the length of your steroid cycle, the more your Estrogen level will increase as well. This irregular raise in Estrogen, can cause the development of breast tissue ( gynecomastia ) in men as Estrogen is the predominate female hormone.
Many body builders try to combat their estrogen levels by taking anti-estrogens such as Nolvadex, Aromisin, Letrozole or Chlomid. If the balance is not met exactly, fibrous breast tissue can develop, if not caught quickly the growth of this fibrous tissue ( Gnecomastia ) is impossible to reverse with anti-estrogens. It is not a fat deposit like other types of Gynecomastia and can only be removed by a skilled surgeon.
Whilst not life threatening, gynecomastia can obviously lower self-esteem and in some cases lead to depression.
Whatever the reasons, its seems that these areas of fat or fibrous tissue are sometimes impossible to shift gynecomastia with diet and exercise alone and surgery is often the only option.
The Belvedere Clinic has been a market leader in Gynecomastia and Female breast surgery for over 30 years.
Call now for a free consultation with One of our surgeons specialising in Gynecomastia surgery.
FREEPHONE 0800 917 2959
Or visit the following link for more information on our clinic Breast Surgery for Men at the Belvedere Clinic