Brazilian men having ‘one cosmetic surgery every two minutes’ reports reveal
After overcoming the national taboo, cosmetic surgery for the male population of Brazil is advancing at a rapid pace, with expert analysts reporting that one male is going under the knife every two minutes.
Plastic surgery procedures have quadrupled among men from the previous 72,000, which has now skyrocketed to 276,000 operations a year in a five-year time span from 2009 to 2014, a study by the Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery reported.
The overall figure equates to an average of 31.5 operations every hour.
It has been stated by an expert in the field in Brazil that the main reason for the change is cultural, with a lowering of bias against men undergoing these procedures.
In 2014, 712,902 cosmetic procedures were performed throughout Brazil. Men originally accounted for 12 percent of the total in 2009, but have seen an increase of 10.5 percent, to 22.5 percent, in 2014.
The report reveals that for men in Brazil the most popular operation is breast reduction, followed by liposuction and eyelid procedures.