Do you know any of these gastric band surgery facts?
A gastric band procedure at Belvedere Clinic involves fitting a band around the top part of the patient’s stomach, and is normally a procedure that is recommended as a last resort for morbidly obese people, who are classified as those with a BMI of over 40, or those with a BMI of between 30-40 who also have a condition that poses a serious health risk, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease.
A gastric band can be used to help you lose weight by controlling the amount of food that you eat, in addition to regular exercise. If you are considering a gastric band contact Belvedere Clinic today for a consultation.
In the meantime, do you know any of these gastric band facts?
- The youngest patient who had weight loss surgery was a 12-year-old girl.
- The biggest weight loss after surgery was achieved by a man called Paul Mason who was one of the heaviest men in the world. He weighed over 450 kilograms before the decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery. After the surgery he lost 140kg and still counting!
- Celebrities who have had the surgery include Sharon Osbourne, Randy Jackson and Ferne Britton, to name a few.
- Obesity costs the UK 2.3 billion pounds a year.
- 60% of excess weight is lost in first year following the procedure.
Other articles you may also want to read:
Photo by: James P Gray